[OM] Binary DoF

Subject: [OM] Binary DoF
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 19:25:00 -0400
Ag writes:
The comment was made that DoF and Hyperfocal calculations are based on
a binary decision: It's either sharp (in focus) or it isn't. I highly
disagree with that assessment.

One could say the state of focus could be covered in one bit as long as it is a qubit--thus something can be can be in or out of focus and even both at once. Using superdense coding involving quantum entanglement even more possible states are possible with one qubit.

Even Dr. Hubert Nasse, senior scientist at Zeiss admits DOF and tables thereof are a fuzzy concept. Further complicating the matter are the neareast and farthest range of DOF and hyperfocal distances assume an ideal thin lens. This is clearly not the case. Zeiss does indeed provide tables with full wave solutions for their cine lenses so they must be of some use. They do not provide them for their other lenses and I asked why.

http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_us/cine_lenses/master_lenses/master_prime_lenses.html

They provide them for coc of .013 and .025mm.

Here are the 0.013:

http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/cine/master_lenses/mp_feet_13.pdf

I think Dr. Focus looked into where one lens differed from the ideal and by how much a couple years back. Thus the perceived/real dof can indeed differ using different lenses. Microcontrast, field curvature, exact focus distance all are important variables affecting real or perceived dof. Nasse has said a photographer uses these principles as a general guide but experience is more important than full wave solution tables.

I am not sure why they seem to be useful for the cine lenses though I have seen clips of a focus puller at work and it was amazing how he could gauge exact distances by eye.

Exactitude requested for fuzzy concept, Mike