Re: [OM] Cheesy old Sci-Fi (hijacked from Re: Nathan's PAD 15/10/2014: s

Subject: Re: [OM] Cheesy old Sci-Fi (hijacked from Re: Nathan's PAD 15/10/2014: supermarket parking lot)
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 06:37:48 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>> I thought it was tolerable _because_ of Smith. Otherwise, it was total
>> mass-market SF crap.
>>

>I bought the LiS box set a few years ago. The series is as old as I am,
>but  reruns ran well into the 80's. It was as cheesy as I remember it,
>and I loved every single minute - even when Dr. Smith made me cringe at
>his foibles.. ;) Interestingly I had never seen "The Keeper" (the
>two-parter with Michael Rennie).
>
>I also got "Space: 1999" recently - that was a lot of fun, too!

     Cheesy?  You haven't seen "cheesy" until you watch "The Lost Skeleton of
Cadavra".  Remember the flaming hubcap flying saucer in "Plan 9 From Outer
Space"?  That's nothing compared to the intentional cheesy special effects in
"The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra".  Wait until you figure out what the space ship
and the transmutor are made from.  And then there's the priceless dinner scene
with Animala.

     I'm not going to spoil this one.  It's too much fun.  Plus there's a
sequel which I have yet to find.

     And then there's "The Beast From Yucca Flat", starring the unfortunate Tor
Johnson from "Plan 9 From Outer Space", which you can download.  Bad, very bad.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson