Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 15/10/2014: supermarket parking lot

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 15/10/2014: supermarket parking lot
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 09:22:25 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>> Stopped by a supermarket on my way home from work this evening to pick up
>>> some fruit and a few odds
>>> and ends. Walking out to my car with my purchases, I noticed an
>>> interesting image (at least I thought
>>> it was interesting), and since I never go anywhere without a camera, I
>>> was able to capture it:
>>>

>>> http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=3616236337&k=8sDQv2K&lb=1&s=O
>>>

>>      Those lights look like the weapon stingers from the Martian war
>> machines in the original "War of the Worlds" movie with Gene Barry.  They
>> later appeared in "Robinson Crusoe on Mars".  The war machines in the
>> remake with Tom Cruise were much closer to what the novel described.
>>

>Right you are, Chris. And here I was thinking I was the only person ever to
>have seen "Robinson Crusoe on Mars".

     I like the scene where he's watching the survival videos and the
instructor says "Water is where you find it."  That's an absolute truth for
desert survival, but it's still funny in a dark sort of way.

     I very much liked the anti-gravity war machines in the Gene Barry version.
 Much more futuristic and more fitting for modern science fiction.  They still
look decent even by today's standards.

     Speaking of which, I recently watched "Earth Girls are Easy", and in a
scene where Gena Davis is having a nightmare there are a couple of brief views
of Robby the Robot from "Forbidden Planet".  Hadn't noticed that earlier.
Robby has really gotten around since he first appeared in 1956:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robby_the_Robot

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson