Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 9/10/2014: powerful art in Toledo

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 9/10/2014: powerful art in Toledo
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 09:18:42 +0200
Thanks for looking and for pointing out my typo which I have now corrected,
Chris. The translation is the “official” one below the painting, like many
translations you see here in Spain, it is a bit awkward. But I found the work
itself extremely powerful, especially the cross falling onto and crushing the
people, and how it morphs into something that reminds one of the swastika at
the end.

Cheers,
Nathan

On 10 Oct 2014, at 08:57, ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for showing us that, Nathan.  It’s a bit difficult to discern the
> content – I thought initially that the large object was a broken cross – and
> it took me a few minutes to discover that you had translated “Shoah”, but
> misspelled “disgrace”.  I found a Spanish description which translates
> “Shoah” as “gran disgracia”.
>
> His art is not the sort that I would seek out, going by some of the examples
> that I found on the Internet, but that Guernica is certainly a powerful piece
> and this one seems to evoke similar outrage.
>
> Chris
>
> On 10 Oct 2014, at 07:05, Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> We are visiting the city of Toledo near Madrid, once among the most
>> important Jewish cities in the world. The expulsion of Jews in 1492 ended
>> that, but the city still has a well-preserved Jewish quarter with several
>> interesting museums in what used to be medieval temples. One of them, the
>> Sinagoga de Transito, contains an extremely powerful work of art, at least I
>> found it very powerful:
>>
>> http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=3601286970&k=bXPQjKr&lb=1&s=O
>>
>> Painted by a German artist (who adopted Spain as his country) with whose
>> work I was not familiar until yesterday.
>
> --

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu