Re: [OM] Frustrating error in E-3 manual encountered

Subject: Re: [OM] Frustrating error in E-3 manual encountered
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 10:00:08 +1300
Piers wrote

Take a look at page 91 in the manual, Brian. If you think it's wrongly
set, you can change it:

"In P, A, S, or M mode, you can assign functions other than the default
functions to the main dial and sub dial. You can also switch the
operations of the main dial and sub dial for menu operations with the default
operations."

Not quite the same as saying "it's not a bug, it's a feature", rather that
whoever owned the camera before you might have reset it from the
default.

Piers

-----Original Message-----  bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<snip>
Having checked Steve Wrotniak's site without success I downloaded the
E-3 pdf manual. It didn't take long to locate the relevant
instructions, BUT, horror of horrors, the instructions didn't
work - at all.

EVENTUALLY and to my utter astonishment, I discovered that the manual
instructions had REVERSED the functions of the main and front control
wheels.

Having figured that out, I then proceeded over the next two hours to take
a pretty unsatisfactory set of images.
The gradual onset of cataracts in my once-best eye makes manual
focussing with the 300mm lens a difficult process. I should have done it in
daylight and taped the focus ring to the correct spot. Turning it right to STOP
does not get infinity focus since this lens is constructed to focus past
infinity.
Even at modest boost to ISO, the E-3 images are very noisy. I envy people
who take the star photos I often see on fuzzbook -  I think they use
Canyon gear.
Brian
As far as I remember Piers, I am the first and only owner
of the camera. Shock - horror; I think I bought it new from
Photo and Video in Merivale, Christchurch.
It's not beyond possibility that I stuffed things up when I
tried (unsuccessfully) to assign a role in the FN feature.
And failed completely.
I tried to enable switching from shooting in jpeg only to
RAW+jpeg, and back again - and it didn't work. I
concluded that the FN feature in my camera is broken or
that it didn't ever work.

The instructions are extremely hard to follow, I must add.

Brian.

---
is active.