Re: [OM] Earthlink Outage

Subject: Re: [OM] Earthlink Outage
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 10:43:41 -0500
>      Earthlink turned into a pumpkin nationwide yesterday around 11PM.  It
> only just rose from the dead, the outage lasting about 9 hours.  Possibly
> taken over by 19CL?

You can blame a lot of nasty things on 19CL, but this one is all
Earthlink. A maintenance-window event run amok.

It happens to the best of us. I can't think of a single major provider
that hasn't iced their network in the past two years at least once.
Usually, the outages are geographically or systems limited, but once
in a while they can get extreme.

The major outages have almost always been related to DNS settings,
edge-router IP address errors and my all-time favorite is the bug in
the server mirroring system that proceeded to delete all files in both
data centers which wiped out everybody's mail accounts, websites and
cloud storage.

AG