Re: [OM] Brumbies

Subject: Re: [OM] Brumbies
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 11:45:54 -0400
Why it the background contrast so low. It almost looks like it's in fog. The bokeh on the out-of-focus bush in the foreground of #3 is very harsh.

Chuck Norcutt

On 9/30/2014 8:21 PM, Marc Lawrence wrote:
On our property we've a herd of brumbies (wild/feral horses). There is
another herd to the south of us, but they can only really gain access to us
if we leave our house-yard gate open (we usually see them just off our
driveway). We don't let them into the 5-acre house-yard because they crap
on an industrial scale beyond a rate of practical garden use. Wallaby, roo,
rabbit, deer. and wombat crap retain that access.

But "our" herd of brumbies does come up to all our house-yard fences, and
often use the house dam, just outside the yard. They seem to have learnt to
be oblivious to our dogs, especially Teddy's territorial charge (besides,
the dogs are in the inner house yard, not the outer), and have little
concern for us. They're not approachable by any stretch, being
simultaneously known for shyness and possible aggression. They live a
pretty hard life, especially in winter. Which is all a long way of saying,
"photos of horses":

http://gallery.happygibbon.com/main.php?g2_itemId=489

http://gallery.happygibbon.com/main.php?g2_itemId=494

http://gallery.happygibbon.com/main.php?g2_itemId=498

Comment and criticism welcome.

If you want to read a bit about the brumbies, the harshness of their life,
the problems they cause, the efforts to control them, and the disagreement
surrounding their control, or just want to see some better pictures in
their (un)natural habitat (gallery at the top of the below link), this
Guardian story is a decent read:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/20/-sp-a-time-to-cull-the-battle-over-australias-brumbies

Cheers,
Marc