Re: [OM] Copyright Woes

Subject: Re: [OM] Copyright Woes
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 19:47:31 -0400
I was just trying to mentally design a revised copyright system for images (and maybe books as well). Consider that the system *requires* that you register the image with the copyright office if you expect protection. Perhaps your registration number is a 64-bit hash value derived from the pixels of your raw file. Maybe registration is as simple as transmitting the raw file to the copyright office along with a small registration fee. In return you get your registration number hash value... maybe even created with a secret hashing algorithm. If you can then provide at a later time the image that produces the same hash value then you are the rightful owner.

Then there's judgement and collection. To make it work it would have to be something as simple as being issued a traffic ticket. If you are the registered owner and a copyright "judge" agrees that there is an infringement the infringer is issued a summons to pay the *copyright office" a fine. the copyright office than pays you from the proceeds and keeps a small amount for themselves to pay for their enforcement activities.

I'm sure there are all kinds of problems with this plan but I think something along these lines might work with modifications. Maybe something along the lines of "small claims court". ie; the system as described would only handle claims of, perhaps, a few hundred dollars or less.

Chuck Norcutt