[OM] OM to M 4/3 adapters (MF-2 and equivalents)

Subject: [OM] OM to M 4/3 adapters (MF-2 and equivalents)
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 18:43:19 -0400
Parallel Puzzle Moose writes:

<<<I don't now recall if the issue was parallelism, length, ??, but the
<<<same logic applies. And yet he had careful test images showing a
<<<difference between adapters. Absent another theory, one is forced to
<<consider that very fine machining differences may matter. The
<<<differences were minor, and only visible in A-B comparisons at 100%, but
<<<certainly there.

Adapting lenses can be a bit tricky to get optimum results. Why adapter issues withWA lenses with corner issues seems to be a predominant complaint is not clear to me. I recall believable posted images by the pixel peeping alt lensers on FM. Some sensors seem more subject to corner smearing/color shifts with more divergent rays as well in lenses designed for different platforms. Sensor stack thickness can play a role in degrading expected performance as well especailly in morrorless cams with thick senosr stacks. Ming Thein seems to think the adapter issue is more cricial on short registartion mirrorless cams but I don't remember any rigorous supporting data.
Roger at Lensrentals is really good at teasing out the issues:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/06/the-glass-in-the-path-sensor-stacks-and-adapted-lenses

The varation in performance with adapters was much greater than typical sample variation with good lenses.

Adapt often but with caution, Mike