Re: [OM] Departure

Subject: Re: [OM] Departure
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 11:40:51 -0700
On 9/24/2014 10:16 AM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
Yours is/was a Ruby Throat, a different, migratory, species.

At least where we are, there are two primary species. Annas stay all year.
Allens go south for the winter.

Hummer Moose

Annas are year-round residents here as well. Their habitat has been spreading northward and they are now found north up Vancouver Island. Due to warming climate or to burgeoning human population?? Or a combination thereof.

Rufous head south. Males return late Feb to hopefully find blooming currents. Surprised that you don't see them migrating through Moose.

We do see them. However, it takes someone more expert than I to distinguish them from the Allen's, whose migration that stops here overlaps with the Rufous passing through on their way further North and back.

I used to live with a hummer rehabber who was relatively expert, and she was never sure, either. They are said to be more aggressive/bad tempered than Allen's. Not much to go on, as they are all rather fierce. :-)

We raised a pair of sibling Anna's from just hatched ('beans'). As soon as the adult hormones kicked in, they went from friends to male aggressor and female victim. Terrible even in the relatively huge 4x8x8 cage before release. Tables are turned when females have nestlings, and will chase males away from feeders.

Hum that Moose