[OM] OT: Never A Dull Moment

Subject: [OM] OT: Never A Dull Moment
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 18:00:58 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Monday of last week we were inundated by the remnants of Hurricane
Norbert.  A state of emergency was declared by the governor.  Freeways were
turned into lakes.  I had 3.50", and some places had almost 6".  A few
neighbourhoods were still pumping water out on Friday.

     These past two days we've been sweating out another possible deluge from
the remnants of Hurricane Odile, but we here in Phoenix and Tucson were spared
any flooding.  Areas in the south central to southeast portions of the state
had 3.5" and more.  That moisture is now in New Mexico and Texas.

     Okay, everything is back to normal.

     NOT!!

     Around 3PM, while I was watching a movie, there were a couple of news
helicopters just to the east of me.  Great, another freeway accident I thought.
 When I turned on the news I learned that there had been a serious shooting
less than a mile from me at a gas station.  One person was seriously injured
and three people in a car fled to the west.  The cops caught up with them about
a stone's throw from me and gave chase, only to lose them in Scottsdale.

     Phoenix PD located them and resumed the chase.  They bailed out near Sky
Harbor airport where two of them were apprehended.  The third one fled to the
airport #4 terminal.  The airport was locked down.  Aircraft that were at other
airports leaving for Phoenix were put on ground hold, menaing they cannot take
off.  Inbound aircraft were allowed to continue.

     Now it gets interesting.  Some of those inbound aircraft have passengers
who are being evacuated from Cabo San Jucas, which was demolished by Hurricane
Odile.  So, those poor people have experienced a major hurricane, a
refugee/survivor situation, an airlift rescue/evacuation, only to land at an
airport that is locked down and in the middle of a police action with a
potentially armed suspect on the loose.

     I think I'll stay home until this is all over.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson