Re: [OM] IMGS: Harvesting Baby Oysters

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Harvesting Baby Oysters
From: "Goss,Steve" <SGOSS@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 14:34:31 +0000
There's another reason why cultured pearls are less expensive than the wild
ones, and Tina showed it in one of her photos: The companies who farm cultured
pearls don't put grains of sand in the oyster. They put the equivalent of a
boulder in there. That way the oyster only has to build up a few layers, rather
than layer after layer after layer, over several year's time.

Thanks,
Steve Goss