Re: [OM] The Impossible OM Project

Subject: Re: [OM] The Impossible OM Project
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 07:51:02 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Sooooo, Let's talk this through a little bit to see if there is
>anything to this. The digital back to rangerfinder project proves that
>this might be possible.
>
>Just thinking out loud here, but here are several things to think about.

     <<SNIP>>

>9. What would this be worth to me? I could easily justify a cost of
>$1200 for this to have an APS-C back for my OM bodies.

     Having a number of years now using MF lenses on the E-500 and E-510, I
would have to say that the cost cannot be justified, though it would be a
tremendously interesting project.

     First and foremost, what would be the advantage of having a digital
filmpack on a film camera?  With the lens to body adapters that are available
for using MF lenses on the Olympus digital cameras, it would be far more cost
effective to just carry a film body loaded with your favourite film for the
quality of film photography plus a digital body for the convenience of digital
photography.  Since the Olympus MF lenses can be used on both bodies with a
suitable adapter for the digital body, this would be both practical and
cost-effective.

     We have a tremendous advantage in keeping with the Olympus digital
products as the shorter registration distance allows us to use lenses with a
wide variety of film camera mounts, except for Canon and Konica.  I've been
using OM, Nikon F/Ai, Cosina/Yashica, Pentax, and Minolta base lenses with
equal ease, though I don't like the adapter for the Minolta lenses very much.

     I can only think of Pentax having a similar advantage as you can use their
film MF, film AF, and digital lenses with equal ease as the mount remained
essentially the same when they transitioned from film to digital.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson