Re: [OM] OT: Weather Satellite Imagery

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Weather Satellite Imagery
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:07:55 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>      You'll notice that there's a low-pressure system centered over central
>> Oregon.  As that
>>moves eastward it will push that moisture flow to the south.
>
>Looking at the models, it appears that it might split the flow and
>push stuff north and south. I didn't dive into the upper air data and
>I'm puzzled by what appears to be a high-pressure system over the
>midwest forcing that narrow moisture railroad north, but the pressure
>gradients aren't following. Must be an upper-level high.

     That high is presently centered over Baton Rouge:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/12/gfs_namer_000_500_vort_ht.gif

 and it will drift eastward and that low will drift to the southeast:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/12/gfs_namer_024_500_vort_ht.gif

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/12/gfs_namer_048_500_vort_ht.gif

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/12/gfs_namer_072_500_vort_ht.gif

     Looks like that rain will mow go over the Great Lakes and into Ontario and
Quebec.  This is unusually volatile for this time of year.

     I'm still waiting to see how TS Marie will affect our moisture and
rainfall.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson