Re: [OM] Bokeh and Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Bokeh and Lenses
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 15:13:28 +0000
There's more to it than that.  Petzval has become a catch-all term for
"swirly bokeh" but back in the day, these were not used to generate swirl.
The swirl only comes from shooting them on a larger format than intended,
generally.  Some of the older lenses had various methods of adding
soft-focus, which is now a "craze" in the large-format world. Any brass
lens gets overpriced generally, as people succumb to the craziness.
Generally it's not vignetting that adds the swirl, it's more spherical
aberrations and other factors. It's a fairly complex topic and when you
add in deliberate soft-focus methods becomes even more complex.

Generally the smoothest bokeh will be one stop down from wide-open.
Wide-open tends to be busy with overly accentuated hard-edges on
highlights.

-Ed