[OM] Going the distance with MFT

Subject: [OM] Going the distance with MFT
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 19:40:56 -0400 (EDT)
Something was askew last weekend trying to process a few GM-1 files in DXO. Some of the geometric corrections and possible even CA didn't look up to snuff---noticed a slider that I didn't usually see to adjust focusing distance in case exif was off. The cam only has CDAF so estimates up close could be quite off. Made me wonder if Panny even bothers to report this at all--ughh!! Looked quickly in exif editor and didn't spot any entry for this parameter. Perhaps it is just this cam--no clue whether others like Gx-7 do so. DXO optics pro can do a better job with some idea of focusing distance. Oly I do think reports this--likely uses stepper motor counts--could be quite far off as approach MFD or infinity but MUCH better than nothing.

Oh, found this for OM-D: correlation is not bad.

http://wetpixel.com/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-5225-0-04111800-1397964749.jpg

OM 5DII f course has quite accurate focusing distance in exif but is PDAF for most part. OM 5D classic didn't to report it though earlier cams did--depended it seems if Canyon wanted to use it in DPP.

Oh, also of note, have not done this yet but can drectly export a DNG into PS using DXO Optic Pro to just use the converter/deconvol (if desired) and other corrections but no color or exposure stuff--could use ACR or LR then for that.

No like guestimates,  Mike