Re: [OM] Staying flexible [was Paul's PAW - new images up]

Subject: Re: [OM] Staying flexible [was Paul's PAW - new images up]
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 09:22:19 -0500
Thank you for the wishes, everyone, and congrats right back to the rest of
you.

When Sheri and I started dating, it raised a few eyebrows and caused a lot
of talk amongst our "friends" since she was 17 years older than me.
However, she didn't seem like it since we had a significant amount of
things in common, very similar taste in music and movies and ultimately
art. We enjoyed each other's company and ignored the "helpful advice"
people were giving us that we probably shouldn't be together. Some people
we thought were friends were outright mocking us. My parents weren't
thrilled at first, either, although they did come around and realized that
I made the right choice and came to love her, too. The majority of my
friends in high school were adults, so maybe it's because I felt more
comfortable around people older than me than with kids my age. Most people
were giving us 6 months at the outside, so 27 years later we enjoy thumbing
our noses at them.

She's always been much younger than her age, and I think that's the main
reason it works. We enjoy doing things together, although we're both OK
with each other going and doing certain things by ourselves or with
friends. And while we may not have a huge retirement fund, we've seen and
experienced a lot of things. One of my university professors was a retired
advertising industry executive. He told us that if we didn't get anything
else out of his class, he wanted us all to "Get out and see the world while
you're still young enough to enjoy it. Nothing saddens me more, or
irritates me more, than being on something like a cruise, seeing an elderly
couple who are on their first real vacation ever, and then the husband has
a heart attack and dies. Get out there now. Experience the world."

The wisdom of those words stays with me even now. We try to live by them.
We may not have a huge retirement fund (but an awesome art collection, one
of the reasons we tend to stay away from art fairs and galleries now...),
but we're enjoying life.

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 8:07 AM, Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 42 coming up for us - we'll pop over the channel to Brittany for a few
> days!
> Congrats to all other long-term inmates.
>

> On 18 August 2014 14:01, Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > It will be 48 years for Barb and me in just a month.  We may celebrate
> with
> > a half-day canoe trip on the Namekagon River in Wisconsin.
> > Dean
> > --

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie