Re: [OM] Now THIS is news!

Subject: Re: [OM] Now THIS is news!
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 17:07:17 -0400 (EDT)
Shuttered Moose writes:
<<I wonder if the DR effect in shadows is a result of quick flushing not being
<<<quite complete.

Hmm,
This EFC stuff is almost as inscrutable as the DOF discussions usually occurring in the depths of winter. As I recall Sony has somehow allowed for flash on Nex and I am sure on the A7--all designed to have EFC and not a firmware update. I see reports of uneven exposure if pushing the sync speed with A7 using EFC. No Flash with EFC on Panny (and unlikely on E-M1 either)--except with GM-1.

Artifacts (some are very cool) seen with EFC include banding in florescent light, banding if shooting panos moving the cam or with moving objects, funky bokeh with high speeds/large apertures---gets squished. The GM-1 is an engineering tour de force and has an obligate EFC. Above 1/500 sec the shutter is 100% electronic and one loses a stop or so of DR----as best one can tell it is related to file only being 10 bit instead of 12---the sensor readout however is faster---1/25 sec or so instead of 1/15. I very much wonder how the bokeh with specular highlights would look at high SS and largish aperture with long tele on GM-1 vs GX-7 with latter using EFC. The faster readout should decrease the weird bokeh on the GM-1.

Panny enabled flash with EFC n GM-1 but sync speed is 1/50. On could only imagine the shutter shock on the tiny GM-1 w/o EFC. Not sure how Fuji was able to almost completely avoid the shutter shock.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gm1/panasonic-gm1TECH.HTM

Shocked Mike