[OM] OT facebook and smartphone users

Subject: [OM] OT facebook and smartphone users
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 07:28:39 +1200

Sent to me by sunofus.org to which I subscribe

QUOTE

In a
breathtakingly creepy invasion of privacy, Facebook is forcing all
smartphone users to install a new messaging app. The Android version of
the app -- and to a lesser extent the iPhone version as well -- allows
Facebook to access your phone camera and record audio, call and send
messages without your permission, identify details about you and all
your contacts, and send that info on to third parties.

If you want to
carry on sending and receiving messages on Facebook you now have no
choice but to install Facebook Messenger - and give the company access
to a wealth of personal data stored on your phone.

Facebook founder
Mark Zuckerberg has also admitted that his long-term plan is to
'monetize' the app, so we need to act now before the app becomes
impossible to stop.

Tell Facebook to stop invading its users' privacy
and allow people to keep using the old messenger feature.

The company
claims that it is simply improving the user experience, and that it
doesn't have control over the permissions required for the app,
specifically on Android phones. But there's a simple solution to the
problem: don't make users download the new messenger.

Most people
installing the app have absolutely no idea what they just agreed to.

ENDQUOTE

Brian