Re: [OM] Slightly OT: Manufacturing in Amerca

Subject: Re: [OM] Slightly OT: Manufacturing in Amerca
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 07:24:06 -0400
Design engineers can still work in America even though the products might be produced elsewhere. For further thought: Several months ago I read an article (wish I remembered where) whose author maintained that 3D printing would eventually kill Chinese manufacturing by bringing production of numerous products back home. 3D printing is already well into using metals and other very durable materials. As the technology rapidly improves and the size of printers grows it will be possible to directly produce many very complex products with little or no assembly required and also to make custom versions or variations in very low volume.

The effect of this will be to eliminate much of the manual labor involved in making consumer products and thus eliminate the Chinese low labor cost advantage. Unfortunately, it also means that those unskilled labor jobs are not returning with the products. I have no answer to the economic problems you pose but have no doubt that more efficiency will ultimately be economically beneficial.

Chuck Norcutt