Re: [OM] OT: Hand troubles

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Hand troubles
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 07:10:21 +0100
Peter

Using a tablet might help with your hands, but it might cause problems with
your neck or back as you would always be bending your neck towards it.  It
might be best if you used a conventional monitor position, and found a
trackball or trackpad to replace the mouse.

I have had a couple of problems which could be blamed on computer use, or at
least exacerbated by it.  I have a back, in the shoulder area, which is made
worse by using a mouse.  I have always tried to use the key strokes rather than
mouse movements and this prompted me to increase that tendency.  In addition, I
use a large, external trackpad with my iMac or with my MacBook, further
reducing my arm movements than with a mouse.

My other problem is to do with my neck, probably damaged by many applications
of G when flying, but again exacerbated by improper posture at the computer.
To help with this I normally ensure that my monitor is at the correct height
(top level with my eyes) and that I sit properly in a carefully-adjusted chair.
 If I use my MacBook for protracted period I tend to put it on a stand and use
an external keyboard as well.

Good luck in finding a solution.

Chris