Re: [OM] OT: Telephone Insecurity

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Telephone Insecurity
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:43:50 -0500
>      I can't help but think that telemarketers are somehow able to listen to
> what is going on inside your house by way of the telephone, calling you when
> they hear a significant sound such as a door closing.  If this is the case,
> how are they able to do this?  I've always thought that when the handset is
> in the cradle the microphone is shorted.
>
>      BTW:  I have a hard-wired telephone set in addition to the wireless
> ones.  If what I suspect is true, can I circumvent this by disconnecting that
> phone?

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Telemarketers have been able to profile household movement patterns
very well. It only takes a half-dozen calls to establish very accurate
occupancy patterns for a large percentage of households. Another
factor is your cellphone. If you have a smart phone, your movements
are being tracked and reported to the government and everybody willing
to spend a few dollars with Google, Apple or Facebook.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx