[OM] IMG: From the Holocaust

Subject: [OM] IMG: From the Holocaust
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 15:55:46 -0700
In the Jewish calendar, today is Tisha B'Av, the traditional day of mourning for catastrophes that have befallen the Jewish people. In that spirit, here is the last surviving piece of documentation of my great-grandmother Anna Vogel, who was deported from her Paris apartment to the transit camp at Drancy, and then to the gas chambers at Auschwitz.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/14836604864/>
Here's a picture of Anna (center), with her husband Pinchas Vogel (right), who died during the Nazi occupation, and a close family friend, "Uncle Charlie," who survived the war in America and lived to hold the one year-old me before he died. My first and middle names are Anglifications of Pinchas and Anna.

Anna Vogel's name in the US Holocaust museum's database:
<http://www.ushmm.org/online/hsv/person_view.php?PersonId=5375133>
Database entry for her daughter Jeanne (my Nana's sister), who was deported and murdered earlier, along with her child.
<http://www.ushmm.org/online/hsv/person_view.php?PersonId=5319376>
More information on the deportation and extermination of French Jews:
<http://www.deathcamps.org/reinhard/deportfrance.html>

--Peter