Re: [OM] IMG: Twins

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Twins
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 13:48:57 -0500
Thanks for the support, Chris. The whites do burn out if the exposure is increased.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 8/1/2014 10:47 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
Twin blooms on a Rose of Sharon (Althea).

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Twins.jpg.html

E-1 with ZD 35mm Macro

Comments and critiques welcomed.

Image is underexposed.  It's too dark to go with the distinct shadows
and doesn't look natural.

      That may very likely be necessary.  My experience with situations like
this is that delicate colours such as the light levendar of the petals in the
light can be washed out if the photo is not underexposed.  The shadows along
the upper portion of the flowers and the leaves would motivate me to
underexpose at least one stop.  Even a slight adjustment in the gamma of this
photo causes the lavendar to get washed out, so I'd have to say that the
exposure here is right on the mark.

      My greatest difficulty with this situation is photographing Datura
flowers.  They are dead white, and to get them properly when in full sun I'm
forced to use a diffuser.

Chris

      - Hunter S. Thompson