Re: [OM] DxO sale

Subject: Re: [OM] DxO sale
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 17:42:35 -0400
Why NeatImage and FocusMagic upfront. Why not ACR for noise reduction and deconvolution.

Chuck Norcutt

On 7/13/2014 7:28 PM, Moose wrote:
On 7/13/2014 5:25 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Thanks for this very detailed analysis and your comments on the 70-300
(which I may yet buy one of these days).  Can you comment more on your
use of FM and also FM with LCE?

I find it hard to reply outside of the context in which they are most
often used.
My most common flow with Raw files is:

1. ACR - Exposure and WB
     Built in lens corrections, no sharpen, etc.

2. NeatImage - Noise
     - Even for base ISO, this is usually important or FM and LCE
'enhance' noise.
     - Saved noise profiles and noise reduction settings for my cameras
and ISOs.

3. FocusMagic - Deconvolution sharpening
     - To taste
     - Usually the radius FM suggests or one less
     - Different cameras and lenses have characteristic values

4. Brightness/Contrast and/or Highlight/Shadow
     - If highlights are blown or compressed, I tend to use a combination
       of the ACR Highlight slider and the PS Highlight/Shadow tool.
     - Which to use how much is experience and judgment.
     - If LCE is going to blow highlights, I first bring them down.

5. LCE
     - The action is set to Amount 20%, Radius 50 pixels, Threshold 0
     - I almost never vary anything but Radius

6. Curves and/or maybe Levels.
     - Bring middle brightness up from any pre LCE reduction
     - Adjust overall and tonal range contrasts

I don't know if that sounds like a lot. With Actions that create named
layers and open tools with my default settings, it's very quick for most
images. Saved profiles and settings for NI that may be picked from a
list also save a lot of time.

Some, like the moon shot I just posted, may have far less done. All I
did with it was perspective correction. Others may be far more complex.

Go With the Flow Moose