Re: [OM] Largest of the abandoned GE factory buildings in Ft. Wayne

Subject: Re: [OM] Largest of the abandoned GE factory buildings in Ft. Wayne
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 21:57:55 -0400
They made electric motors. The GE complex is huge, and still has 13
buildings standing. They didn't just build motors there, they also
designed them, made prototypes, tested them, etc. Some of the buildings
were used for design work, others for manufacturing once the designs were
approved for mass production. They also made custom motors, hand-built
one-off designs for specialized uses. The plant opened in 1911. GE made
appliances there for a while as well, but motors were the main product.

The company still lights the sign every night, and they have security
people patrolling the grounds to keep people out. Right now, about 30
people work in another building there doing design work. They're leaving
in January, then the whole place will be empty.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook