[OM] Something's Wratten In Tempe

Subject: [OM] Something's Wratten In Tempe
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 15:26:45 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     It's been many weeks since I embarked on this project, but I was not going
to give up as glass filters are not suitable for digital cameras and the
internal B&W simulated filters are worthless.  Last week I came across a
complete set of Kodak Wratten filter presets for Adobe Photoshop Elements:

http://www.graficalicus.com/wp/?s=photo+filters

     It just cost $1 for the download link for the manually loadable version,
which was delayed as Earthlink was blocking that entire domain.  After I got
the ZIP file I unzipped the package and there they were:  Virtually every
Wratten filter that you could hope for.

     I could not get them to work in Photoshop Elements as the instructions
were meant for a version later than 5.0.  But after a considerable amount of
effort I found that the ATN files could be used with Photoshop 7.0 by simply
copying them into:

C:\ >Program Files >Adobe >Photoshop 7.0 >Presets >Photoshop Actions

     Once I figured that out (took more than a day of hacking), I simply opened
an image, selected ACTIONS on the ACTIONS window/pallette, then clicked the
little arrow in the upper right corner.  And there they were, every last one of
them.  It takes a bit of practice to get used to the various layer commands.

     Looks like the learning curve has just begun, but I can see that I'm going
to be happy with this.  The IR filters (87, 88, and 90 series) don't give the
expected results, but I've figured out how to use glass ones already.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson