Re: [OM] OT: AV-8B Emergency Landing

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: AV-8B Emergency Landing
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 18:00:18 +0100
Good question, Chris.  But often keeping the tanks on gives you more stability
should the main gear collapse.  The underside of the fuselage is not flat and
the aircraft is likely topple; I expect that the outriggers are not strong
enough for the full weight of the aircraft.  On the Tornado we were advised to
keep the tanks on if we had a gear malfunction, especially if it was a main leg
not locked down.  One main locked down would give you a massive problem on
landing.  In that event we would plan to land into wind (least crosswind
possible) with the gear up and slide on the tanks before taking the upwind
cable (hook down on landing).

I liked the way the young chap talked, quite self-deprecatory.  But it’s not
true that they can’t practise for that eventuality, I reckon: his every landing
was practice and he just did another good one — with the cameras rolling and a
sizeable audience, including senior officers :-)

Chris