Re: [OM] Digital Kodak Wratten filter simulators... and lots more

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Kodak Wratten filter simulators... and lots more
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 06:50:41 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>FilterSim from MediaChance.com appears to be free as a standalone app.
>I haven't tried it because I don't think I have any need for it but
>Chris and others might be interested.  It also appears to be available
>as a small subset of a $45 plug-in in an app called Photo-Brush 5.  But
>it's not clear this app is actually being sold today.  It doesn't show
>up in their products listing but using Google to search their site the
>product info, users' guide and ordering page can all be found.
>
>FIlterSim - Glass Photo-Filter simulator
><http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/filtersim.htm>

     My laptop wasn't even warm when I downloaded and installed this.  Tried
out a couple of sky-darkening orange filters (16 and 22) on my test image and
converted to B&W with Photo-Paint and was pleased with the results.  This works
very nicely, and it's not cluttered up with all sorts of unneeded bells and
whistles, just simulates putting a glass filter on the lens.  And it has the
full set of colour cooling and warming filters including the elusive 81E/EF.
Someone who understood the technique and art of using glass filters wrote this,
and wrote it well.  Fantastic!

     Thank you for finding this.  I knew that there had to be something out
there that would function this way.  I tried fruitlessly over a year ago and
came away with nothing.  Now I have a very useful tool for post-processing
photos in a manner that I fully understand and can apply my hard-won glass
filter judgement.

     I have found opening images in LR3 to be nerve-wracking, and at the same
time I very much like Exposure 6 as it has those wonderful B&W film emulations.

     Now I can put this project to rest and enjoy digital photography more than
before.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson