Re: [OM] IMGS: Swiss Mountain Chapels - SCOTT

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Swiss Mountain Chapels - SCOTT
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 10:09:22 +1000
The hotter the climate, the more mass you need. Stone is good. But you need a
deep verandah to shade the walls. Stone stays cool longer in the day and then
cools down again during arid area cold nights. Adobe is what you se when you
don't have stone.
The stone roof is a nice example of using what you have.
One favourite of mine is Mallee root construction. In the north of this state
there is a tree that has a lignotuber - a large underground wood mass that
allows it to recover from fire. It has several slender trunks. These were
dragged up to convert land for agriculture - the technique was to use a chain
between huge rolling concrete balls.  These tubers were used for firewood or
sculpting or turning as they are like burls, almost indestructible and with the
soft parts rotted off, they form tortured shapes. Hard to turn as they may
enclose stones. But some enterprising souls used them as building bricks, bound
together with a mud mortar.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Author/Publisher: