[OM] IMGs: Desert Botanical Garden

Subject: [OM] IMGs: Desert Botanical Garden
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 07:37:56 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I recently learned that the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix is free
entry on the second Tuesday of the month, so early yesterday morning I ventured
over there, not expecting much as we are well into the high summer temperatures.

     The entranced is graced with a trio of very tall glass sculptures
resembling succulents:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14375167156/

They have lights inside that give a nice sparkling display in the evening.  I
should go there some evening and get a photo or two.

     Shortly after I entered, a volunteer told me that the night-blooming cacti
were still flowering, so I hastily dashed about to find them all.  The first
one was an Argentine Giant (Echnopsis candicans):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14211556339/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14396845552/

which certainly lives up to its name as the flowers are about 8 inches (20cm)
across.

     There were a few other night-blooming specimens which did not have tags,
so I am not aware of what species they are:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14396844742/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14211620510/

There were other specimens, but because of the wide diversity of light and
shadow plus their distance from the paths I was not able to get decent photos
this time.

     A real treat was this Boojum Tree (from Baja California), which was in
bloom:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14211761877/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14396888642/

     One of the features of the garden is an artificial wetland, complete with
reeds and cattails that are found in these rare desert areas:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14397165754/

     The plants along the water's edge are Yerba Mansa:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14418417693/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14211666550/

the root of which has medicinal properties very much like that of Goldenseal.

     Another feature is this small patch of grassland, similar to what one
would find in low- to mid-altitude chaparral areas:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14211666350/

There are as many as six species of native perennial bunch grasses to be found
here, though only Sideoats Gramma and Arizona Cottontop were readily identified
this day.

     There were very few wildflowers to be found, and most were in their late
stages and withering despite the irrigation.  This Blanket Flower was an
exception, and was putting on a nice show:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14211843667/

     Now that I know that entry is free on second Tuesdays, I'll have to make
regular visits to catch whatever is in flower through the year.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson