Re: [OM] (OM) OT A cautionary mote from Greenwald's book

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT A cautionary mote from Greenwald's book
From: <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 12:44:34 +1200
Re: Chris B's scepticism

That's an interesting idea, Brian, but possibly untrue.

Chris

> Just getting into this book.

> It sems that for many years the USA government has had the ability to

remotely activate cell-phones and turn them into listening devices.

///////////////////////////////

This method of covert surveillance was taken very seriously when Greenwald  and
Laura Poitras (documentary film-maker) met with Snowden in Hong Kong; all three
took the advoidance action I described - remove battery, or place in fridge.

It gets worse. On pages 148 & 149, Greenwald describes how, in the USA at
least, the NSA routinely intercepts routers, servers and other computer network
devices being exported from the USA before they are delivered to the
international cusotomers. The agency then implants backdoor surveillance tools
(chips), repackages the devices with a factory seal, and sends them on. Cisco
devices are especially hard hit. The chips eventually connect back to the NSA
infrastructure. Quoted.

A lot easier than implanted software which could be discovered and removed.

Suspiciion of the same kind of activity by the Chinese computer giant Huawei
(which would have reduced NSA access) led to Huawei leaving some markets
outside China

Brian (This is Supersleuthing better than I have ever done)