Re: [OM] UV Filters as protection for front element of lens

Subject: Re: [OM] UV Filters as protection for front element of lens
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 20:28:56 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>We all tend to develop our own habits when working with the tools of our
>craft.  In general I put a quick release plate on my cameras, take the neck
>strap off and go naked on the front of my lens.  When I recently bough a
>NEX 7 I bought UV filters for both of my expensive lenses with relatively
>large  front elements.  A few minutes ago as I was carrying the 10-18mm to put
>it  in my stash cabinet, I hit my hand on the edge of the couch, knocking the
>lens  out. I landed on the wood floor destroying  the lens cap, UV filter
>and putting a couple of gouges in the front element.  Double ugh!   Don't
>know what the lesson is, however it is insured.  Wonder if there was  some bad
>camera karma from putting the UV filter on the front of the lens.

     No, no bad karma involved there.  I use either UV or Haze-1 (Tiffen)
filters on most lenses, sometimes Skylight 1A or 1B on those that I'm not
using.  Sure, they won't save the front element in a disaster such as you've
experienced, but it will protect them from the common bumps that take place
fairly often.

     I dropped my entire E-500 last year from a distance of less than a foot.
It landed nose down on a large smooth rock at a slight angle.  The filter ring
took a small dent, which I pressed out when I returned home.  It could have
been much worse except for the fact tha I always have a protective filter on
the lens except when I have a polarizer, warming, or cooling filter on for the
moment.

     Good for you that the lens is insured.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson