Re: [OM] IMG: Mending Traps, III

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Mending Traps, III
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 21:27:06 -0700
On 5/30/2014 8:03 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
PESO:

I found a closer one:

http://www.pbase.com/image/155875400

C&C greatly appreciated.

I don't understand. I know, we've been around this before - but ...

Mending Traps II has the focus on the person, hands and trap being worked on.

In III, not even the hand and trap being worked on are in focus, the background is sharp and the person is a huge, fuzzy presence.

My eyes MUCH prefer II.

B&W is fine to my eye, as the focal plane is where the action is, esp, as the
hat obscures his face.

In Smiling Trap Mender, though, as the title says, it's about the person, face, smile, yet focus is on the net, his feet, etc. I would prefer focus on his face. The hands are beautifully captured, but just confuse my eyes; where should they be looking?

The focal plane in IV looks right to me, although I personally would probably
prefer f16.

A Never-ending Job! works, too. Again, the hat obscuring the face makes it
about the nets and overall composition.

Mending Traps nicely illustrates our differences. I'd probably have taken a horizontal shot of what's in the bottom third of this one. :-)

Hmmm Looking at it some more, it seems awfully busy to me. It seems to me to be several compositions competing with each other. As usual, I speak not as stock photographer, photojournalist, etc., but as a sort of art photographer. It is perfectly good documentation, and may be good for stock.

But your better work has a clear point/area of interest, and this doesn't, to
me.

Up 'N Down Moose