Re: [OM] Off The Tracks Spring Festival & Canyon Problem

Subject: Re: [OM] Off The Tracks Spring Festival & Canyon Problem
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 10:35:28 +0800
I was switching between Olympus and Canon in last 10+ years, had a 10D and
40D and now using a 5D II, I'm always not happy about their color
reproduction. In most cases the images from Olympus was always better but I
was never able to tell the exact different between the two. As most people
say this may be just personal preference.

Recently, I was scanning some old faded negatives, the Epson 4870 was ok but
I still wanted to see how the 5D II copy compare. For a quick test I used
the Cabin CL-5000P light panel as light source for 5D II (I usually use
flash). The image's color was terrible, I was never able to get it adjusted
to give a usable image. Then I tried the Olympus E-PL1 (same light source),
it was much better but still not as good as the 4870 scan. After a couple of
days' evaluation, I found the R and B channel of the image from 5D II were
much poorer than the Olympus one. The red channel gives totally wrong
interpertation of levels and the blue channel is too thin to give proper
tonal details, only the green channel is comparable. It was really a shock
to me.

I then switched to flash as light source, the result was better but Canon is
still lag behind and the red from Canon is still wrong, it is a mystery
here.

It looks like Canon has problem on interpretation of thin tonal range
objects, in this case is negatives film and it may extend to lady's facial
details and distant landscapes.

Here are the samples, straight out from Canon DPP and Olympus Viewer,
cropped in PS:

5D II

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/IMG_0004-5000K.jpg
http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/IMG_0012-flash.jpg

E-PL1

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P5290668-5000K.jpg
http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P5280647-flash.jpg

Epson 4870 PS adjusted

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/E4870.jpg

Will I consider another Canon, NO! For sure!

C.H.Ling

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>