Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 20: back to normality

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 20: back to normality
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 16:54:26 -0700
On 5/20/2014 5:30 AM, Wayne Harridge wrote:
Me too !

...Wayne

I find it interesting that there have been two comments so far about having
never seen cabbage rolls in tomato sauce. That's the only way I've ever had
them.

Paul I understand. That sort of cabbage roll is, as Nathan says, Polish. Possibly from a larger region, and there were a huge number of NE European immigrants in the Chicago area.

My late wife's mother was Polish-American and father Mexican. He said that when they first moved to the US, to his in-laws' place in Hamtramck, he couldn't practice his English in the neighborhood, 'cause everyone spoke Polish.

So I have indeed had those cabbage rolls - delicious. Unfortunately, the old generation who knew how are gone, as is the excellent local Polish restaurant.

As I recall there is a similar Russian dish? Considering how often various parts of what is now Poland were parts of what is now Germany of Russia, there's probably a lot of cuisine overlap.

Do I need to add to my repertoire?

Musing Moose