[OM] IMGs: Cactus Flowers

Subject: [OM] IMGs: Cactus Flowers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 13:09:07 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     In south Tempe and west Chandler I encounter a number of homes that have
broken away from the "Disney Desert" form of landscaping, where the owners have
made a good or better attempt at populating their front yards with a nice
variety of desert flora.  This one in particular:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14221930712/

is well above the norm, and for the past three months there has not been an
occasion where there was not at least one flower in bloom.  I had slowed to
admire the progress of the Saguaro flowers and happened to notice the owner
standing out front.  Shortly after we began talking he pointed out a recent
bloom that I had not noticed earlier due to it being difficult to observe from
the street when going from north to south;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14224369385/

The plant is from South America, and I failed to ask him the name.  It does not
stand upright, but is instead prostrate along the ground.  The flower in the
photo is almost 6 inches (15cm) across and the throat is quite deep.  Towards
the rear of the plant there is a double bloom, at an angle that provides a view
of the calyx:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14224304825/

     Looking down on this double bloom again reveals the deep throat, and if
you look carefully at the one on the left you may see the bee that is
scrambling through the stamens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14224328615/

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson