Re: [OM] (OM) OT Microsoft suspicions17

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Microsoft suspicions17
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 16:08:37 -0500
On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/15/2014 8:42 AM, Paul Braun wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Microsoft was forced into caring much longer than they wanted to because
>> Vista was a disaster and no company in its right mind wanted to convert
>> thousands of desktops and applications to Vista when XP was by that point
>> fairly solid and reliable.
>>

> Yup. It's easy for folks not involved to misunderstand the importance of
> the corporate market to MS.
>
> The Fortune 500 I used to work for only started rolling from XP to 7,
> slowly and carefully, last year. Probably my last consulting work for them
> (14 years later) was recompiling a rogue bit of the system I developed in
> 32 bit.
>
> When you have a really huge operation totally dependent on data
> communications and processing and highly integrated, you don't change
> ANYTHING without real need, endless testing and great care, let alone the
> OS for a large part.

Our hospital is in the middle of migration to Win7 (also migrating from our
own domain to the corporate domain, and migrating to a completely new suite
of clinical apps, all at the same time, and also in a time frame that's
one-fourth of the time normally required for a successful implementation of
any ONE of those projects....)

I've had to be VERY forceful in getting the corporate people to understand
that there are a handful of pc's that we can't migrate yet since the
desktop client for a critical piece of software for that department simply
will not even install on Win7, and we have to wait until we get the backend
servers upgraded to the latest version.

We were purchased a little over 4 years ago, and we're still running up
against people at corporate who don't understand that we have a
fully-qualified and staffed IS department who designed and implemented our
own network and has kept things running pretty smoothly for years. We have
two hospitals, two outpatient facilities, a dozen hospital-owned physician
practices, and around 8 EMS stations that we support.  They're used to
buying small hospitals with 2 technicians.  Needless to say, there's been a
lot of head-butting in this process, especially since the migration
consultants are driven by meeting numbers on a deadline, regardless of the
end-user impact, and then they'll move on to the next project and we're
left to clean up the mess....

Frustrating thing is that they also bought a hospital system in another
Indiana city that's bigger than ours.  They haven't touched them yet -
they've always used us as the guinea pig first before touching the other
group.
--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie