Re: [OM] portability of Olympus digital lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] portability of Olympus digital lenses
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 09:42:19 -0500
On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Chuck Norcutt <
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But, as I understand it, regular 4/3 lenses (not micro 4/3) will be slow
> to focus unless on an M-1.  The M-1 has both contrast and phase detect
> sensors.  The pother mirrorless micro 4/3 cameras only have contrast detect
> AF.  Regular 4/3 lenses were designed for phase detect and are sluggish to
> respond to contrast detect.  Phase detect sensors not only tell the lens if
> it is out of focus but which direction it needs to move to achieve focus.
>  Contrast detect only says you're out of focus but not which direction to
> move.  Micro 4/3 lenses use lightweight elements designed for fast motion
> so they can search back and forth quickly.
>
> Ask Paul about AF speed on his E-M5.

There's a definite "hunting" period with my 14-54 until it locks in.
Depends on what I'm shooting - in a concert situation, it's a pain and
often a non-starter.  But for landscapes, buildings, slower-moving stuff,
I've learned.

I don't know the specs on the E-M10.  The E-M1 definitely has the 2-way
focusing.

However, one thing to consider is if you already have the OM-FT adapter,
you can use the OM lenses on the MFT body.

The lens that has me all tingly is the promised Zuiko 40-150/2.8 Pro.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie