Re: [OM] (OM) House sparrow

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) House sparrow
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 23:09:43 +1200

Paul Laughlin wrote:

> Sorry, Brian, but I have to
respectfully

disagree with you. It fits the male House Sparrow in
breeding plumage,
nicely. I'll take Sibley over Wikipedia anytime. VBG
Since you say it is
not, perhaps you can identify what it actually
is?////////////////////////////
 Some links here.

///////////////////////////
Paul that e-mail reply of mine got screwed
up some how. I have just read it in the digest, and I didn't keep a
copy.
What I wrote was that, after looking at all my few books, and
masses of photos from around the world, I concluded that it is an
atypical colour pattern which does show up in some localities. Some
authorities have it that it is a non-breeding male colour phase, BUT
there are 1 - 2 shots to be found of that colour phase actively mating.
So, I don't know about that, but I do accept that this is a variant I
have not actually seen with my own two eyes.
Cheers, Brian