Re: [OM] Boom Boom's Saloon

Subject: Re: [OM] Boom Boom's Saloon
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 16:02:26 -0500
> Fort Wayne has A LOT of strip clubs. The religious zealots here are always
> trying to get them shut down, to no avail.

Yes, lost on the zealots is the principle of opposition breeds support
for that which you are opposing. One of the best ways to oppose
something is to actually "support it" in a way that makes the action
indefensible. An example of this is a recent bruhaha about a required
reading book in a high school which was rather, uh, vivid in a sex
scene. The school blasted the opposition as being a bunch of religious
cave men. However, the school would absolutely, without a moment's
hesitation, expel a student for having the text of that chapter
written out on a t-shirt or if a student were to hand out a printed
sheet with that text written on it. The text in question easily falls
under the category of "child porn." While the religious zealots were
"right", they were still "wrong" because the school controlled the
narrative. It's like a lot of things where it doesn't matter if
something is right or wrong, but who controls the narrative.

> We're also one of the most conservative cities in the US, and one of Fort
> Wayne's nicknames is "City of churches," because there are so many of them
> here.

It tends to go hand in hand. This is especially true in Colorado
Springs. The more "religious" a community is outwardly, the more
non-religious it also is. Fort Wayne is also an odd duck in that its
specific history is unique. I live in a community that was known for
it's extreme violence in the past. A classic railroad town, there were
dozens of bars lined up along two streets. Most of these people ended
up in prison or dead. One generation later, it's an entirely different
situation. There are still a few bars, but one can walk the downtown
at night without getting knifed--usually.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx