Re: [OM] For you cyclists...

Subject: Re: [OM] For you cyclists...
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2014 17:01:34 +0200
Yes, needs a sealed unit with shaft drive

On 09/05/2014 16:50, Ken Norton wrote:
      That is a very interesting design, though I would think it would be
stronger if both wheels had three support points instead of two, with one at
the very bottom at the other two at 120-degree points.
I think it all comes down to materials. It would probably do fine. It
is likely OK for a normal cyclist, but Pharma Armstrong would probably
destroy it in 30 seconds. But I do see one critical design flaw. The
chain goes down to the bottom of the rear wheel. By placing the drive
"hub" down there, it's going to get wet, dirty and broken from FOD.
Granted, one advantage for having it there is that it places the
strains and stresses right near the point of tire contact, which would
greatly reduce wheel and frame stresses, but it's a lube and clean
nightmare.