[OM] The end of onion-ring bokeh? Panasonic beats the curse of aspheric

Subject: [OM] The end of onion-ring bokeh? Panasonic beats the curse of aspheric lenses,
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 16:25:21 -0400 (EDT)
There are also others causes of onion ring bokeh--see.

http://toothwalker.org/optics/bokeh.html

I don't know how often lenses with magnetorheological finishing type polishing get into commercial lenses but that can eliminate irregularities down to way sub lambda levels and has been performed for a number of years. Aspherics do seem to impart other characteristic rendering signatures depending on the placement of the elements but I've never read any consistent generalizations of exactly how that happens and why.

Onion rings have too much oil anyway, Mike