Re: [OM] Retirement, was Malt whisky tasting evening

Subject: Re: [OM] Retirement, was Malt whisky tasting evening
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 15:51:57 +0100
In the reports that I was reading, Chris, the (civilian) pilots had no ratings.
 Kudos to you (and your instructor) for having used your initiative to get up
to speed on partial panel.

Pilots in the RAF have always had to learn partial panel and limited panel IF
and it’s part of the Instrument Rating every year.  I have 2 black sucker
patches so as to cover both AIs when I have an IF student.  For the Tutor, we
have to fly a partial panel recovery but the precision approach is full panel.

When I flew the Hunter, which had no standby horizon, we had to fly a precision
approach on limited panel under the hood.  I nearly lost it on mine, but
managed to recover and scraped a pass :-)  Using the magnetic compass on
limited panel we flew timed Rate 1 turns — or we just went "no compass no gyro"
and ATC would time the turns for us.  I don’t know if the kids are taught such
techniques nowadays in the UK.

Chris