Re: [OM] IMG: Sunset, II

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Sunset, II
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 17:08:30 -0500
> I understood it to be film.  But I thought the grain was so excessive as to
> ruin the image.

Um, no. I understand what you are saying, but I find that the grain,
in this case, adds a certain classical look to the image which is
artistically stimulating. Otherwise, it would be just another
run-of-the-mill sunset shot that everybody and their dog gets.

The grain accentuation is an artifact of the K64 scanning on a Nikon
4000dpi scanner. Kodachrome is essentially a B&W film with dyes added.
Add to this is the fact that any processing (as Joel so eloquently
stated) will usually make the grain more aggressive, not less. This is
especially true when you do tonal mapping.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx