[OM] Slide scanning esp Kodachrome.

Subject: [OM] Slide scanning esp Kodachrome.
From: Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 21:48:30 +0100
   Hi
   I am about to embark on getting some of my 50 year old slides scanned,
   probably about 100 immediately, and several hundred more slides later
   including some that are only 20 years old.
   The digital images will normally be viewed on a computer monitor or
   flat screen TV but I may want to project them onto a screen of about
   1200 x 900 mm (4 x 3 ft if preferred).
   The slides are a mixture of Kodachrome (64?), Ilfochrome, Agfa and
   unidentified film in a mixture of card and plastic mounts (some
   remounted by myself when the original glue deteriorated on cardboard
   mounts)
   My old Epson Perfection 1650 will no longer scan slides and would have
   very poor resolution by modern standards anyway, so I have the choice
   of buying a scanner (new or used) or using a commercial agency to
   digitise the slides.
   Commercial suppliers offer 2000, 3000, 4000 options with Digital ICE
   offered either as standard or as an extra and I am tempted to use one
   of the companies for the first batch of slides (at 4000 dpi) to see
   what they actually do.  This leads to my first question - is it correct
   that Digital ICE is unlikely to be worthwhile on Kodachrome slides, as
   suggested on some web-pages?
   If I chose to purchase a new or secondhand scanner (eg on the 'bay) for
   the bulk of the slides am I likely to be satisfied with the results - I
   have access to computers running Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8.1(+update1)
   so relatively old software would not be a problem if it was provided by
   the seller and I do not aspire to the standards of the professional
   photographers on this list but want to do justice to the products of an
   Agfa Silette (with f3.5 lens) and subsequently OM10 and OM2SP cameras.
   Does anyone wish to dispose of a working scanner because they have
   upgraded? (Reply off list)
   Brian Gray