Re: [OM] IMGs: Chris' Cycling Photos 3 March 2014

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: Chris' Cycling Photos 3 March 2014
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 19:48:52 -0400
I really liked the close-ups (except one which is underexposed)

Chuck Norcutt

On 4/4/2014 10:52 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
      There's very little in the way of wildflowers in the back country this season due
to the lack of winter rains, so I have been looking around for opportunities along my
daily cycling routes here in Tempe.  There are a few homes in the southern part of town
that have defied the "Disney Desert" form of landscaping and have instead
turned their front yards in to nice showcases of more natural desert flora.  One home in
particular has a couple of interesting species, one being a well formed Strawberry Cactus:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/13624098065/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/13624099075/

and the other being a species of succulent that I have heard refered to as
Desert Candle but which I cannot for the moment properly identify:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/13624099265/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/13624099855/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/13624100085/

      Another home nearby has an interesting cactus with orange flowers that I
have yet to identify:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/13624198995/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/13624199025/

      Notice the arrangement of rocks in the next to last photo.  The owner has
gone to the trouble of gsthering rocks that are typical of lower altitude
Sonoran Desert slopes and arranging them in a way that you would commonly find
them in a natural environment.  This is a high degree of detail that I rarely
see, but I would not want to encourage people to go to unless they can find the
rocks in areas that have been disturbed by road grading.

Chris

      - Hunter S. Thompson