Re: [OM] IMG: The Ebony Hillbillies, II

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Ebony Hillbillies, II
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 08:58:50 -0400
I think this is the best so far but I think it's time for Tina to go back and revisit both color & B&W originals. The color version lacks saturation and contrast. I think the B&W suffers from that as well but also looks to me as though it's been over-sharpened. Originally I suspected it might only be the smaller versions of the image but the "original" also looks a bit "extra crispy". When blue jeans look metallic in the B&W something is wrong.

The color balance may well reflect reality but moving it slightly away from it blueness may also help.

On the other hand I sometimes get surprised by what my various pieces of software do to some images. I was working on an architectural landscape several days ago that was to be printed as a 16x24. When sharpening a print my rule of thumb is to view it at 25-30% and make it looks just a tad crispy on screen since the printing process will soften it slightly. Viewing the result in PhotoShop or in Bridge (as a slide show) made it look as I expected. Viewing it in BreezeBrowser (as a slideshow) made it look as though it was very grossly over-sharpened... so much so that I couldn't stand to look at it. That was a surprise since it's usually Bridge that makes an image look strange that looks perfectly fine in BreezeBrowser. I think some resizing algorithms can play some funny tricks at times. We'll see. The 16x24 print should be here today or tomorrow. At $60 it better be right. :-)

Chuck Norcutt