Re: [OM] OT: Weather

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Weather
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 13:31:46 -0500
>      It's all going to combine with a low pressure system that stretches from
> Baffin Island to St. James Bay.  There's a significant amount of energy in
> the form of cold Arctic air in that cyclone.

Noticing that one. I'm not seeing how it is going to affect the
mid-west quite yet, but I also noticed that all of the models aren't
quite lining up. My alternative sources aren't giving a clear
indication. The New Mexico low pressure scooting to the NE is more of
a November/March pattern, but we're so whacky this year that anything
goes.

>      It's getting some, but mostly in the form of rain.  They need snowpack
> to provide meltoff during the summer to keep the reservoirs filled, and that
> is not happening.

I figured that a full reservoir is a full reservoir no matter the source.

>      That high pressure ridge is not in place yet due to a low pressure
> trough streching from south central Canada to Texas.  The beginnings of the
> high pressure ridge are presently sitting over the intermountain region.
> That nor'easter will be affecting New England into Wednesday.  It's still far
> too early to say for certain, but there is the potential for a significant
> storm over the northeast US and eastern Canada the following weekend.

Are you thinking that my Great Lakes storm is the one that is going to
pound into that arctic low once it slides east?

One thing, for sure is that if things shape up the way I think they
might, we're certainly looking at supercells forming in the Kansas
City, Omaha, Des Moines triangle. Might have to anchor down the
downspouts so they don't blow away again. I did get the shelter
prepped and ready for diving into. Hmm.... Carpet!!!

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx