Re: [OM] IMG: Mosquito

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Mosquito
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 00:41:07 +0930
On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 11:22:31AM +1000, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> What's a PI group?
>
> You got me rather hungry with this conversation so I nipped over to the local
> for a basic lunch - no, not Pho, even more traditional - Broken Rice.
> http://www.pbase.com/image/155296588
> With a marinated, grilled pork chop (really, really good), 'bii' (shredded
> pork, pork fat and gelatine), a fried cake of 'I'mnotsure', the compulsory
> fried egg and some fish sauce for dipping. Plus a bit of soup on the side,
> tea, a Durian Smoothie and the crossword. I cannot think of a better weekday
> lunch. Total cost, AU$17 (about US$15.50). Total wait time - 3 mins - a bit
> more for the drink and soup. This place is a basic and large tile floor and
> formica table cafe but at night later in the week, you have to book and/or
> share a table - and there are two more almost as good within 100m.
> Who would ever bother with Macdonalds?I mean, EVER?!
> Andrew Fildes
> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> www.soultheft.com

We also have a local pho bar (iPho) that makes excellent pho, laksa and
bun... not especially inexpensive, but very, very, good! (and they
remember my name when I phone-order and put plenty of extra chili into
*everything*!! :) )

A while ago, I found a recipe for broken rice on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDqDFtjt0ok    Bizarrely (or perhaps
ironically), in the first part of the video Miss Helen is 'breaking' the
rice... :/  (If you're interested in  cooking Vietnamese/Cambodian,
'Helen's Recipes' would be a worthwhile YT subscription),

davidt